Now with the Lord
Ann and Bob Sullivan
Until the Lord called them home, the Sullivans served Internationals in the D.C. area through various churches by training people to teach English as a Second Language and setting up programs to study English and the Bible. This DC team also hosted many fellowship groups and Bible studies and helped Internationals adjust to the USA.
The purpose of Interface Ministries (iFace) in Arlington, VA has been to serve international students and scholars. With the help of many volunteers, that could take any of the following forms:
1) Community services referrals – connecting those in need to community resources.
2) Conversational English Workshops – training for individual volunteers and program leaders in churches
3) American and ethnic church referrals – help to find a church.
4) Local friendship activities – dinners, English as a Second Language programs, Bible Studies, Sunday Schools, Outings.
5) Conversational English opportunities.
6) Home Bible study opportunities.
7) Holiday activities – special events that helped Internationals understand and celebrate holidays with American friends.
8) “American Friends” friendship program – Arranged visits with American families to foster new friendships and cultural exchange.
9) International Womens’ Club – International women who don’t get out too much could come to an interesting tea and friendship program that offers craft class and interesting topics. Women could practice English language while meeting other internationals.
NOTE: Most of these services were free! Any service that had a cost was advertised with the cost clearly stated ahead of time.